Pages

Bill Cunningham?




"Looking at these collections. I look for what I think a woman could wear, would wear, and whether it would fit a human body, other than the model. I’m very attuned to that. If it isn’t something a woman could wear, I have no interest in it."


From his documentary:

The Times of Bill Cunningham | Official Trailer



"The wider world that perceives fashion as something frivolous that should be done away with in favor of social upheavals and problems that are enormous. The point is, in fact, that FASHION. You know, in the point of fact, it’s the armor to survive the reality of everyday life. I don’t think we'll do away with it. It would be like doing away with civilization. You know, that’s what I think"

"-How is it different shooting here(Paris) than in New York?
-Fashion week here is exceptional.
-Why?
-It educates the eye.
-Paris?
-That’s right. That really comes with fashion, but that’s what happens. Every six months it’s like going to school. You have to come back and reeducate the eye."

"-and you see all the paparazzi going crazy?
-oh, yeah
-Over Catherine Denueve.
-I can hear people say, He’s gotta be the dumbest on in the crowd. He didn’t other photographing her. Well, she wasn’t wearing anything interesting. I’m intereted in clothes. And even if I knew them, knew who they were, and usually I don’t, I don’t go to the movies much and I’ve never owned a television. I’d never be a paparazzi. I couldn’t be. The tormenting people that chase them. Oh, that I couldn’t do. I wouldn’t do. I think it has to be done just discreetly and quitely. Invisible, I think, is the word."

"This is the greatest subject in all of Europe. Madame Piaggi…I photographed her outside Saint Laurent’s couture show, mixed in with all the other women that were trying to be so chic with their pantsuits. It was a revelation. I mean, I never saw anyone like her. I think she’s a poet with clothes. But a very fine poet. To me that’s the reason to come to Paris."

"When I photograph, many people think, “He’s crazy! He only photographs clothes” But that’s what we’re here for. I’m not interested in celebrities, with their free dresses. That’s C’est pas important. At least look at the clothes. The cut, the new cut, the lines, the colors, that’s everything. It’s the clothes, not the celebrity and not the spectacle. It’s as true today as it ever was.
HE WHO SEEKS BEAUTY, WILL FIND IT"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment ♥ Don't forget to share your website